Gentle Relief: Navigating Eczema in Babies and Children
How to Tell if its Eczema
Whilst normally we know it is nothing to worry about – it can still be distressing when your baby develops a rash, flooding your mind with questions on how to get it gone as quickly and painlessly as possible.
Whilst it could be anything from nappy rash to irritated skin from your washing powder, it is important to know the tell-tale signs of eczema on your baby’s skin, so you can get this confirmed by a medical professional and take the right steps to help your little one.
What does it look like? – Eczema can appear as flaky or crusty patches of skin anywhere on the body but quite often the joints of arms, legs, and the face. Its commonly red but can also be neutral or skin coloured, hence the common confusion with cradle cap.
What causes it? – If anyone in the family has eczema, this increases the chances of your baby having so, but don’t worry – a lot of infants grow out of this condition before school age. Eczema is a frequent occurrence in young children affecting up to 20% of babies over the world, with 2 in 3 outgrowing the condition.
There are lots of things which can trigger a reaction and potentially irritate your baby’s skin if they are susceptible to eczema, so it is good to know how to combat further discomfort:
- Avoid scratchy clothes, opt for softer materials which are less likely to itch the skin
- Make sure your soaps, detergents, shampoos and all other toiletries coming into contact with your little one’s skin are free from harmful products and heavy fragrances
- Try not to let your baby get overly hot, heat and sweat are common factors which cause the skin to flare
- Hot water can really trigger inflammation by drying out the skin so beware of this when bathing your baby
- Cold, dry temperatures and low humidity will also dry out your baby’s skin, so make sure they are wrapped up when heading out in the cold
We know just how important it is to find the perfect products to suit your little one, especially eczema-prone skin, which is why our bespoke range has been specifically designed to for ultra-delicate and eczema-prone skin.