Tender Moisturizing: Baby's Skin with Dewdrops at Dawn Lotion
Newborns are likely to have a degree of dry skin; the extent of which is generally related to the amount of vernix at birth. This is the sticky white substance that protects the skin from infections in the womb and contributes to baby having soft skin after the birth. While it’s normal for full-term newborns to have this substance on their skin, premature babies are likely to have more of it and overdue babies may have less - so skin may be very dry and cracked. It’s advisable not to wash your tiny one in the first 24 hours, so that the vernix can continue to protect against germs, water loss and temperature changes, and can absorb naturally.
Over the first four weeks, baby’s paper-thin skin matures and forms its own natural protective barrier. For prematures, this will take 6-8 weeks. During this time, you should avoid using cleansers, lotions and medicated wipes. Plain water will suffice. After a month, the skin is developed enough to accept very mild products and now you are ready to moisturise your tiny one. This isn’t to add moisture, but to reinforce the barrier and prevent moisture loss, so that the skin (the body’s largest organ) can do its job properly.
If your baby develops dry, red, itchy patches, they may have atopic dermatitis (the most common type of eczema). This can develop weeks or months after their birth, and may be caused by genes, environmental triggers or problems with the skin barrier (where moisture escapes and irritants are allowed to get in). To help support the important barrier function, naturally healing and soothing products, such as Little Butterfly London’s dewdrops at dawn body lotion, are best for the skin, since they contain none of the ‘nasties’ that may also be a contributing factor to eczema.
If your baby doesn’t have particularly dry skin, it’s still very beneficial to moisturise as it helps to calm them, aid digestion and create a bonding experience. It promotes brain, emotional and social development, particularly if you talk (or sing) while applying the lotion. It helps little one process information through their senses and makes them feel safe and loved.
Little Butterfly London’s dewdrops at dawn body lotion is perfect for moisturising your baby’s or toddler’s delicate skin. Specifically formulated and dermatologist-approved for sensitive, eczema-prone or reactive skin, it not only helps to heal and soothe skin conditions, but also helps to prevent future problems from occurring. Its high anti-oxidant content provides valuable defence against damaging environmental stressors. As with all Little Butterfly London products, the lotion contains the highest quality natural and organic ingredients that are included at just the right percentage for optimum efficacy. These include:
- Cucumber seed oil: A delicate oil that’s excellent for sensitive skin. Loaded with phytosterols, omega 6 and oleic acid, it helps to keep skin hydrated, seals in moisture and supports the lipid barrier, to ensure good moisture balance. Also containing anti-oxidant-rich palmitic acid, cucumber seed oil helps to soothe irritation - making it ideal for skin problems such as dermatitis and eczema.
- Cocoa butter: Rich in vitamins and fatty acids, this butter forms a protective barrier over the skin, helps to keep in moisture and offers superior soothing properties. Often used in the treatment of skin conditions such as eczema.
- Aloe vera: Skin-loving, aloe is rich in vitamins, minerals, polysaccharides, phytosterols, antiseptic agents and anti-inflammatories. It delivers valuable hydration, provides a protective barrier on baby’s skin and soothes and cools. It locks in moisture, inhibits bacteria and supports skin healing.
- Papaya, peach & apricot oils: Fatty acid-rich, emollient and well-absorbed oils that support the skin barrier function and help to prevent transepidermal water loss. Particularly useful for delicate and sensitive skin, they help to soothe inflammation and aid in the relief of itchy, scaly or irritated skin conditions.
- Oat kernel extract: Highly emollient, this extract binds moisture to the skin and helps to maintain the skin’s natural pH balance. It supports baby’s skin barrier, soothes dryness, itchiness and sensitivity, and protects the skin from irritating environmental stressors.
- Meadowsweet: A natural anti-inflammatory that helps to reduce redness, itchiness and rashes.
How to use:
Immediately after bathing baby, pat them dry and lightly apply the lotion. The skin shouldn’t be damp. This is because moisture can get trapped in the areas of thin or irritable skin that’s prone to rashes. If baby is super-dry, moisturise a couple of times a day.